Friday, August 24, 2012

Typewriter Table Re-do!

Ok, so a while back I saw a picture on Endless Treasures' website of a super cute typewriter table that they had for sale.  I fell in love with it and said so on their FaceBook page.  My sweet mom saw the post and told me that she had one from ages ago a few years ago and offered it to me.  See, I told you she was sweet!!  Anywho, it needed some TLC and I decided to try to polish and shine it up myself. 


 Here is a picture of the table that my mom had been storing in her utility room.


A close-up of the top.  See those scratches?  I think I can fix that . . . .


Why, yes, that is a mud-dobber's (at least that's what we call them down south!) nest you see on the underside of one of the fold-down sides!!

So, I started by bouncing some ideas off my better-half.  I first thought I would strip the entire thing and then prime and paint it.  He wasn't feeling it, I could tell.  He thought that would be too much work for the outcome.  So, after cleaning it with soap and water, I grabbed some sandpaper.  This is not my favorite thing to do, but to get a really nice finished project, it is SOOOOOO important.  I used a 220 grit sandpaper from 3M.  Their paper holds up to the job and I don't have the gumming up with it like I do with other papers. 

Next, I bought some scratch and small dent filler at my local auto supply store.  I applied it, let it dry, and then sanded again.  Here are pictures after the scratch filler was applied. 




After cleaning all of the dust off of the stand, I primed it.  This will give the final paint a smoother finish. 

Here is pic of the primed stand.  Woot Woot, now I can paint!!  I am so excited! 





No comments:

Post a Comment